What is Turnkey?
5 August 2022
TURNKEY: Adj – ‘the provision of a complete product or service that is ready for immediate use’
Working with a turnkey partner means you have a simple project delivery method under one single contract, in which all stages of the project are included from design through to construction. This means risks such as a rise of prices of raw materials, and inconsistencies between the design and construction, do not occur as it is all done in-house.
Whilst turnkey may seem to be a more costly option there are many benefits to this approach and, when offset against the hidden costs of a self-managed approach, will often end up being more cost effective in the long run. We all know carrying out a project for a new fit-out space can be extremely expensive and stressful. Working with a turnkey company eliminates these worries and gives you complete peace of mind.
Your turnkey project will typically follow the steps below…
- Establish your building size and layout requirements to best support your growth objectives.
- Expand/re-model current facility or is a new premises required?
- Full construction required or just internal fitout?
- Will the project require planning permission or consent from local authorities?
- Will the project be self-funded or is a grant or other funding solution required?
Design & Planning
- Consultation with key stakeholders in your business to establish key design must-haves.
- Develop initial designs.
- Develop architectural designs and submit planning application to local authorities (if applicable).
- Work up initial designs into a detailed set of construction drawings.
- Design review to ensure it meets your business objectives.
- Complete design pack including a full scope of works.
Construction & Fit-Out
- Appointing your dedicated contracts manager and site manager.
- Detailed project programme agreed.
- Project lead-in and materials procurement.
- Site set-up and project kick off.
- Project progress meetings throughout the duration of the project.
Handover & Close Out
- Completion of project.
- Project handover including a comprehensive O&M pack.
- Ongoing support and rectifying teething issues.
Learn more about our project process here
Visit our stand (E72) at the PPMA Show!
We are excited to announce that next month we are exhibiting at the Foodex Manufacturing Solutions 2023 show!
What does the construction phase of a turnkey project look like?
If you are confident in our turnkey approach and happy with the design, we can then proceed with the building and fitting out of your new food factory according to the detailed design. This enables you to completely step back from the project, allowing you to focus on running and growing your business, knowing it’s in safe hands.
The importance of aligning food certification requirements when planning and designing the build of a new factory facility
If you don’t think turnkey is the correct route for your upcoming expansion project, you will need to bear in mind who will take on the role of principal designer and contractor. This is an important factor as this will expose you to risk including ensuring your new factory facility is built to the requirements of necessary food certifications such as BRC and SALSA.